The Government has decided to make some further changes that will reduce Covid-19 restrictions in our communities. The Irish Prison Service are also reviewing restrictions in prisons and we are pleased to tell you that we will be reducing some of the restrictions in the coming days.
(Updated 29 October 2021)
This information relates to the operation of physical visits and more information on other measures will be published in the coming days.
Please take note of the below arrangements which will come into effect on the 1st November 2021.
- Some restrictions on Physical visits will be reduced with effect from Monday 1st November 2021.
- Prisoners will be entitled to receive one physical family visit per fortnight, of not more than 30 minutes duration.
- Prisoners will also be able to avail of one video visit of not more than 20 minutes duration per fortnight.
- Prisoners may opt for two video visits per fortnight if preferred.
- Physical visits will be limited to a maximum of two adults (over 18 years of age) and one child (under 18 years of age).
- Children may only attend if accompanied by at least 1 adult.
- In order to prevent the potential spread of infection all visits will be behind Perspex screens. Both prisoners and visitors will be required to wear a prison issued face mask at all times.
- No physical contact between prisoners and family members will be permitted.
Visit entitlements per month
Prisoners will be entitled to receive any of the following options:
- 2 physical and 2 virtual visits per month
- 3 virtual and 1 physical per month
- 4 virtual visits per month.
Screening and searching of visitors
All visitors will continue to be subject to temperature screening and asked questions about Covid-19 on arrival at the prison. Visitor screening for Covid-19 will take place in visitor waiting room with standard security screening taking place at screening/search area as normal.
VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Visitors will not be required to produce a vaccination certificate or a certificate of recovery on entry to prison. However, this measure is currently under review.
- A photo ID is required for all adults.
Cash and prisoner property
There will be no money accepted from visitors on visits. Visitors should continue to use the electronic means of sending money. In addition, there will be no exchange of prisoner property on visits. We will continue to keep this under review.
We hope that you and your visitors have an enjoyable visit and we are grateful for your continued support as we try to reduce the restrictions while keeping you all safe.
Irish Prison Service 22 October 2021