Castlerea Prison Harristown, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon. Tel: 094 96 25213 Fax: 094 96 25226
|General Description:||A closed, medium security prison for adult males. It is the committal prison for remand and sentenced prisoners in Connaught and also takes committals from counties Cavan, Donegal and Longford.|
|Chaplain:||Ms. Margaret Connaughton|
|Visiting Committee:||Mr. Martin Daly (Chairperson), Castlerea Prison Visiting Committee, Harristown, Castlerea, Co. Roscommon.|
|By Bus:||Daily services from Dublin, Galway, Sligo and Westport. Check www.buseireann.ie for service times.|
|By Car:||Check website www.aaroadwatch.ie for up to date directions. The entrance to Castlerea Prison is located opposite the railway station.|
|By Train:||Castlerea station is the nearest train station. Check www.irishrail.ie for service times.|
|Visiting Times:||Normal visiting times are Tuesday to Friday from 2pm to 4 pm and on Saturdays from 10am to 12 noon and 2pm to 4 pm. Sentenced offenders are entitled to one 30 minute visit per week. Special visits of 15 minutes duration may also be available on request. Each prisoner must nominate six adults who will visit him (there is no limit on the number of children) and those visitors must produce photographic identification on arrival at the prison. Staff will explain the visiting procedures. There is a no smoking policy in operation during the visit. Visits to 'The Grove' area are allowed on a daily basis from 10am to 6pm, including Sunday|
Important Notice - Suspension of All Family Visits (Professional visits remain unaffected):
- The Irish Prison Service has announced that all physical visit to prison will cease with effect from close of business Friday 27th March 2020.
- All future visits from prisons will be conducted using video calls.
- Any physical family visits that have been booked to take place on or after Saturday 28th March 2020 has now been cancelled.
- Arrangements are currently being made for the introduction of visits by video link/camera phone early next week.
- Information on the new arrangements will be published on the Irish Prison Service website www.irishprisons.ie as soon as possible
How the new family visit booking system will work:
Family visits to the prison have been suspended as a direct result of the COVID 19 restrictions in the community. From the, 30th March 2020, the Irish Prison Service will commence facilitating video calls with family members who are selected by prisoners, as follows:
- Prisoners will be asked to identify a family member from their approved visitor’s list to host a video call.
- The Irish Prison Service will contact the identified family member by phone to arrange a time for the video call and to confirm an email address to forward the video call arrangements to when finalised.
- 24 hours prior to the time of the video call, the identified family member will receive an email with the confirmed date and time and a web link to establish the video call.
- At the scheduled time, the identified family member will be required to click the web link using a smart phone, laptop or desktop (with internet access) in order to commence the video call.
- The video call will automatically end after 15 minutes.
- The posting of video calls on any form of social media is strictly prohibited and a breach of GDPR. Any abuse of the video call facility may result in restrictions being placed on future video opportunities.