Portlaoise Prison Dublin Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois. Tel: 05786 81300 Fax: 05786 20997
|General Description:||A closed high security prison for adult males. It is the committal prison for those sent to custody from the Special Criminal Court and prisoners accommodated here include those linked with subversive crime.|
|Chaplain:||Fr. Eugene Drumm|
|Visiting Committee:||Mr Michael Hough (Chairperson), Portlaoise Prison Visiting Committee, Dublin Road, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.|
|By Bus:||Daily services from all major cities. Check www.buseireann.ie for service times.|
|By Car:||Check website www.aaroadwatch.ie for up to date directions.|
|By Train:||Portlaoise station is the nearest train station and is within easy walking distance of Portlaoise Prison. Check www.irishrail.ie for service times.|
|Visiting Times:||Normal visiting times are Monday to Saturday from 10am to 12 noon and 2pm to 4pm. Sentenced offenders are entitled to one 30 minute visit per week. Special visits of 15 minutes duration may also be available on request.
Visits by appointment are in operation in Portlaoise Prison.
Prisoners may nominate up to six visitors on their visitors panel each month. Visitors, once nominated, may either book a visit by ringing the dedicated booked visits phone at 057 86 813 26 or book a visit using the phone in the visitors waiting room. Visits will not be accepted by ringing any other number of the prison. All nominated visitors must present valid photographic ID on each and every visit to the Prison i.e Passport, Driving Licence or Garda ID Card.
The booking line is open during visiting times i.e. Monday to Saturday from 10.00 am to 12.00 pm & 2.00 pm to 4.00 pm (Thursdays 2.30pm to 4.00 pm). Visitors should arrive 15 minutes prior to the booked visit. The maximum number of adults permitted on a visit is three and the maximum number of children permitted on a visit is three. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
There are no visits on Sundays or Christmas Day.
All visitors and staff are processed through our security screen area. Visitors are advised that they will be subject to a range of security measures, including searching prior to entering the prison. Passive dogs are in operation in Portlaoise Prison. Visitors are advised that mobile phones or any personal items are not permitted into Portlaoise Prison & must be left in the visitor’s waiting room. There is a no smoking policy in operation during the visit. Free car parking is available in the visitor’s car park.
Important Notice - Suspension of All Family Visits (Professional visits remain unaffected):
- The Irish Prison Service has announced that all physical visit to prison will cease with effect from close of business Friday 27th March 2020.
- All future visits from prisons will be conducted using video calls.
- Any physical family visits that have been booked to take place on or after Saturday 28th March 2020 has now been cancelled.
- Arrangements are currently being made for the introduction of visits by video link/camera phone early next week.
- Information on the new arrangements will be published on the Irish Prison Service website www.irishprisons.ie as soon as possible
How the new family visit booking system will work:
Family visits to the prison have been suspended as a direct result of the COVID 19 restrictions in the community. From the, 30th March 2020, the Irish Prison Service will commence facilitating video calls with family members who are selected by prisoners, as follows:
- Prisoners will be asked to identify a family member from their approved visitor’s list to host a video call.
- The Irish Prison Service will contact the identified family member by phone to arrange a time for the video call and to confirm an email address to forward the video call arrangements to when finalised.
- 24 hours prior to the time of the video call, the identified family member will receive an email with the confirmed date and time and a web link to establish the video call.
- At the scheduled time, the identified family member will be required to click the web link using a smart phone, laptop or desktop (with internet access) in order to commence the video call.
- The video call will automatically end after 15 minutes.
- The posting of video calls on any form of social media is strictly prohibited and a breach of GDPR. Any abuse of the video call facility may result in restrictions being placed on future video opportunities.