Visiting a Prison
Please take note the arrangement to increase the number of visitors from 3 to 5 persons. This will come into effect on Monday 11 July, 2022.
- Prisoners will be entitled to receive one physical family visit per fortnight, of not more than 30 minutes duration.
- Prisoners will also be able to avail of one video visit of not more than 20 minutes duration per fortnight.
- Prisoners may opt for two video visits per fortnight if preferred.
- Physical visits will be limited to a maximum of five persons with a maximum of 3 adult visitors.
- Children may only attend if accompanied by at least 1 adult.
- Both prisoners and visitors will be required to wear a prison issued face mask at all times.
Visit entitlements per month
Prisoners will be entitled to receive any of the following options:
- 2 physical and 2 virtual visits per month
- 3 virtual and 1 physical per month
- 4 virtual visits per month.
Screening and searching of visitors
All visitors will continue to be subject to temperature screening and asked questions about Covid-19 on arrival at the prison. Visitor screening for Covid-19 will take place in visitor waiting room with standard security screening taking place at screening/search area as normal.
VERY IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
- Photo ID is required for all adults.
Cash and prisoner property
There will be no money accepted from visitors on visits. Visitors should continue to use the electronic means of sending money. In addition, there will be no exchange of prisoner property on visits. We will continue to keep this under review.
We hope that you and your visitors have an enjoyable visit and we are grateful for your continued support as we try to reduce the restrictions while keeping you all safe.
The operation and frequency of visits will be kept under ongoing review guided both by HSE, Public Health advice and a desire to support as much contact as possible between prisoners and their families.
Irish Prison Service