Visiting a Prison
Important Notice - Suspension of All Family Visits (Professional visits remain unaffected):
- The Irish Prison Service has announced that all physical visit to prison will cease with effect from close of business Friday 27th March 2020.
- All future visits from prisons will be conducted using video calls.
- Any physical family visits that have been booked to take place on or after Saturday 28th March 2020 has now been cancelled.
- Arrangements are currently being made for the introduction of visits by video link/camera phone early next week.
- Information on the new arrangements will be published on the Irish Prison Service website www.irishprisons.ie as soon as possible
How the new family visit booking system will work:
Family visits to the prison have been suspended as a direct result of the COVID 19 restrictions in the community. From the, 30th March 2020, the Irish Prison Service will commence facilitating video calls with family members who are selected by prisoners, as follows:
- Prisoners will be asked to identify a family member from their approved visitor’s list to host a video call.
- The Irish Prison Service will contact the identified family member by phone to arrange a time for the video call and to confirm an email address to forward the video call arrangements to when finalised.
- 24 hours prior to the time of the video call, the identified family member will receive an email with the confirmed date and time and a web link to establish the video call.
- At the scheduled time, the identified family member will be required to click the web link using a smart phone, laptop or desktop (with internet access) in order to commence the video call.
- The video call will automatically end after 15 minutes.
- The posting of video calls on any form of social media is strictly prohibited and a breach of GDPR. Any abuse of the video call facility may result in restrictions being placed on future video opportunities.